I spent half a day cleaning oilways, threads and waterways in the block, lucky i did as the oilways to the centre cam bearing was completely blocked with sludge. Ive left the core plugs out at the moment as i have to put a couple of thread inserts in for the head studs, so will need to blow the swarf out.
With the main and big end bearings are on order i made a start with putting the valves in. The valve seats had already been done for me, it was just a matter of assembling them. I put the cam followers in and inserted the camshaft, liberally coating everything with assembly lube. I had already checked the fit dry. Because one of the original valve springs had collapsed and a couple more looked a bit dodgy i got new springs, caps and collets. Its quite a fiddly job to get the springs in past the followers and adjusters but once in i adjusted the tappets and refitted the valve cover.
Well the main and big end bearings arrived and i wanted to get the crank in and insert the pistons just to check the piston height. The reason for this was that the block had been skimmed and Barum had removed the same amount from the top of the pistons. The crank was placed in with no seal at the back for now, and as each main bearing cap was fitted and tightened i turned the crank, the reason for this was that if there was a problem i could identify which bearing it was, i did the same for the big end as well. Luckily they were perfect as was the piston height. I didnt put any rings on just to keep it simple.
Once i was satisfied everything was ok, i removed the pistons and crank and checked the bearing surfaces etc. Next the rings, i inserted one in each of the bores and pushed a piston in a little way to straighten them up. The gap was checked and then i put the rings on the pistons and oiled them up ready for insertion. I had a choice of rope or modern rubber rear main oil seal. After much reading on the interweb i decided to go with the modern version. I put that in and checked the seal surface on the crank, it looked ok so placed the crank in and torqued the caps. Next in were the pistons, they felt quite tight going in and once again i checked rotation of the crank as each one went in, but initial fears of tightness were unfounded and it turns over smoothly.
The next job was the head studs, 13 went in well with a coating of pematex No1 on the threads to seal them. The last two needed helicoils and after a bit witchcraft they were fitted. The head was placed on just make sure they were all straight, they were, luckily!